10.09.2014

Running Motivation and Then Some



Caution: This post is a minimally edited rant on a run. Writer may have been on a semi-demented running high. 


Running shoes are highly specialized species. A lot of thought has been put into them to help out runners--from newbies to Meb and Ryan Hall--"run better." In fact, well-engineered pair of shoes can get pretty expensive. Yes, most are nice to look at (or show of, if that's your thing), they're great on the feet even for everyday wear but that's not what they're made for. Running shoes are made to be run in. Their soles are made to kiss asphalt and their heel cushions are made to reduce impact when the foot hits the ground at high velocity. Their mud guards are there not only to keep toes clean but to protect them from being stubbed. Their breathable uppers are there to circulate air and moisture efficiently. Their lightweight materials were picked so we could fly with the wind.

My point here is, let's run on our running shoes, people!

When I got my current pair of running shoes ten months ago, I decided not to go with my normal new-shoe routine and brought them along on our trip to Sagada.( It's the one on the first picture on my post before this.Nothing fancy, a standard pair of low-profile running shoes. And Yep. That was ten months ago.) I used them on freezing jog-walks in the morning and on long strolls the rest of the day. I used it halfway into Sumaguing cave and left it damp and muddied on a nook on the cave floor. Aaand it survived! Days later, tired from my Christmas vacation, I would become lazy at following my running schedule. Until I remembered I just got new shoes and what were they supposed to be for if i did not use them? Sayang naman diba?

So there, I ran in them the most I can for the next ten months. That included MILO APEX training under the stars and/or rain, my first (and second) 10k, my first trail/road hybrid race which I ran neck and neck (most of the way) with a celebrity. Aaah, lots of memories. They're still good to go right now but a bit banged up and loosing their grip on the pavement but hey, I'm so happy that they turned out that way. They fulfilled their purpose to the hilt!

On my morning run a few days ago, I noticed a lot of people in head-to-toe running gear, walking. A wave of sadness hit me. No, I couldn't judge those people since I did not know where they are at but I felt sad for those specialized pairs on their feet just the same (and all those moisture-wicking gear!). Coz isn't it sad when something fails to fulfill its purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think