10.06.2014

Sagada: An Impromptu Getaway (Wordy Post and Photodump Alert!)



    Having lived in Baguio for a good part of my life, people are often surprised when I say I haven't been to Sagada. I am surprised myself not because it is "nearby" (for the record, it's a six-hour trip by twisty, turny, high altitude road ) but because I've had many opportunities before then, I just didn't take them.


This is one of the local trips I've been planning forever to do and just after Christmas last year (my 26th birthday) I woke up with the idea that I had to do it. Right then. I kept nagging my family for all of that week and persuaded my dad and sister to come along.

Best. Idea. Ever. Going with my dad meant that he got to connect with his (numerous) friends who lived there. And so our Sagada experience became just a little bit out pf the ordinary. Here's what I think we were able to do different:

1. We slept at the house of someone we knew, was greeted with the classic Cordillera dish, Pinikpikan, when we arrived, and spent lots of our house time wrestling with her cute kids. Many of the town people in Sagada rent their rooms out to visitors for a small fee, so we were able to help her as well.

2. Since the house was a little far from the town center, we were able to spend lots of time literally walking through Sagada. Mostly in the chilly mornings and and late afternoons. I think it was a great way to take in the experience, Sagada  is a walking town, after all.

3. We got to visit one of the "town elders" who relayed to us a bit of the town history (did you know that the Sagada town proper was designed in the form of a cross with the church at the center?) and some current issues (like the telecom tower erected at the cemetery). We also had a close look at his cozy log cabin/ study area.

4. We got to visit the Radyo Sagada studio (we knew the station manager whom we saw on the bus that left ahead of ours in Baguio) which was sadly not airing when we were there. Still, my father had a long and loud chat with his friend that people coming into the studio thought an interview was underway. :3

Of course we also got to do some of the standard touristy stuff like visiting the hanging coffins, caving (although few people can say they went caving with their 50+ year old dad. hehe, sorry Pa, for revealing your age.), waterfall-hunting, food tripping at Lemon Pie House, Yogurt house and the carinderias in the commercial center and souvenir shopping (my dad bought a tissue-holder statue which turns out can be found at a mall near you! Well at least he can authentically claim his piece is from Sagada)

It was a great experience, especially doing this with my dad and sister (who have both been there before). Seeing my dad so game in going with the trippings of his two girls was really fun. I was surprised he even went caving with us when he is usually afraid of heights. But I think I would be back there for the cave connection and hiking-- with another group of people. 


With one of our host's kids. Sadly, his  ruddy cheeks are camera shy.
 
I really liked the church building's architecture. My dad's town elder friend claims that the Sagada population is 98% Anglican, being an Episcopal mission town in the 1900's.
 
Drying pinewood "teepee's" were one of my favorite sights in Sagada.

Inside the lovely log cabin.

The cemetery is very much an iconic landmark in Sagada and an important part of community life. So you can see how the emergence of a "small" telecom tower is a cause for concern.


Secret to success: When naming a store, be direct to the point. Yes, the sell lemon pie.

 

Stacked coffins at the Lumiang cave walls

  
Found Gaia's Cafe along the road to Sumaguing Cave. They were closed that day but they allowed us to lounge in their quirky cliff side abode for some minutes.

The road to the cave offers a breath-taking view of the valley below.

View on the other side. This has got to be my favorite photo from that trip. Somehow, I felt like I was back home in Baguio but in the wrong decade.

The patterns on the cave rocks were  amazing. And sensitive, too, that is why it is required to go barefoot.
 
Had to take a photo after climbing down that chute.
I am so proud of my dad for doing this!!
There are various formations inside the caves, from mammoths to curtains. This mini (and natural) version of the rice terraces was super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me What You Think